This is an easy recipe that you can create quickly but does require some prep.
- 1LB of Black-Eyed Peas
- 1.5 teaspoon of cumin seeds (can be substituted with powder if you do not have seeds)
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 8 to 10 cloves of garlic (diced)
- 1 tablespoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Instant Pot
- Soak the black-eyed peas in water for about 8 hours.
- Drain the black-eyed peas after time has elapsed.
- Place the steaming rack with a cup of water in the instapot
- transfer the black eyed peas inside a stainless steel container and place it on top of the steaming rack
- Set the instapot settings to high pressure and cook for 10 minutes
- You can prep the other ingredients at this time and start to work on spices as it gets closer to instapot time about to finish.
- Start warming up the 3 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat.
- Add garlic, cumin seeds, mustard seeds once the oil is hot.
- this should take about 30 seconds to cook.
- then, add the black eyed peas to the pan and cook until slightly crispy.
- add salt to taste
- Now you are ready to assemble.
- take the black-eyed peas and place in a bowl, add tomatoes, onion and lime juice to it.
- Done!! you are ready to eat.