This Mediterranean recipe is a favorite in our house. It’s quick and easy and requires very little ingredients. It can be made in advance and the longer the salad marinates, the better it tastes! Classically tabbouleh is made with bulgar but we decided to substitute with green lentils since they are healthier and provide a good source of protein.
- Green lentils (2 cups)
- English Cucumber (1.5)
- Tomato (2 large)
- Cilantro (1 bunch)
- Mint (10-15 leaves)
- Limes (3)
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- Yogurt (2 cups)
- Dill (1/3 cup diced)
- Green onion (1 bunch)
- Soak the green lentils overnight. If you don’t have time, at least soak them for 30 minutes. (Pro-tip – Soaking proteins helps cook them better and also makes the protein more bio-available.)
- We are going to cook the lentils in our Instapot. If you don’t have one, that’s okay. Just boil them on the stove. But the pressure cooker is quicker. First prepare the Instapot as below. Put about an inch of water, then use another steel container for the lentils. In the container with the lentils, add 1 cup of water and 2 tsp of salt. This set up is a bit hard to explain, but refer to the picture below. Cook them on high pressure for 25 minutes. Once done, drain the cooked lentils and set aside.
- Dice the cucumber and tomato into small sized cubes. Quickly chop the green onions (be sure to include the white parts as well). Mince the cilantro and mint as fine as possible. I recommend using a food processor if you have fun to get it truly fine. Combine the cucumber, tomato, cilantro, mint, green onions into one large bowl and toss with salt to taste, black pepper, 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicy). Then zest the lime until you have about a 1/2 tsp of zest. Toss the salad with the zest and the juice of two limes.
- Roughly chop the dill and add to yogurt along with the juice of 1 lime and 1/2 tsp of lime zest. Add salt and black pepper to test and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Then place desired amount of cooked lentils on the plate, top with salad and yogurt sauce and enjoy!