Summer is here! So naturally, we are utilizing all the summer ingredients as much as we can. This recipe features mango and peach! I find that when you add fruit to a savory meal, it adds another layer and really rounds out a meal. This dish is fairly easy to assemble and quite tasty. Its even better the next day.
- Half a packet of Salad Greens (we used the Cruciferous Crunch Collection pictured below from Trader Joes)
- Jalapeno (1/2, de-seeded)
- Mango (1)
- Black eyes peas (2 cups if using dried and 2 cans if using canned)
- Peach (1)
- Green onions (2)
- Lime (2)
- Almonds (1/2 cup)
- Coriander powder (1-2 teaspoon)
- Olive oil.
Recipe (serves 4)
- We used dried black eyes peas; the recipe can be made quicker if you utilize canned beans. Soak them over night or at least 30 minutes. Prepare a double boiler like setting in the Instapot and cook for 15 minutes on high pressure. Once the peas are cooked, set aside to cool. In a nonstick pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add the cooked black eyes peas (or canned) once oil is heated. Gently toss with salt to taste and 1-2 teaspoons of coriander powder. When the peas are slightly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, they are done and ready to use. This makes a great snack as well, if you have leftovers.
- To prepare the salad. Toss the salad greens with sliced mango, finely chopped green onions, half the sliced jalapeno with the juice of 1 lime, salt, and 1 teaspoon of lime zest.
- To prepare the vinaigrette, you will need a blender. Peel the peach and slice into 1 inch cubes. Blend the peach cubes with 2 table spoons of olive oil, salt to taste, the other half of the sliced jalapeno, and the juice of 1 lime. Blend until smooth. Add more oil if necessary.
- Toast 1/2 a cup of sliced almonds until golden brown.
- To serve, start with salad on the plate, top with the cooked black eyed peas and toasted almonds and drizzle with peach vinaigrette. Enjoy!