The black bean burger is true and tried favorite. We wanted to try something different featuring the black-eyed peas. This burger consisting of the peas and cremini mushrooms is rich in flavor and protein. Easy to make and even easier to eat guilt free. To ensure that it’s low calorie, we cut out the bread and left the burger NAKED! With a burger so tasty, you won’t even realize the bread is missing. We promise!
- Black-eyed peas (2 cups dry or 2 cans)
- Cremini mushrooms (1 package, diced)
- Onion (1)
- Cilantro (2-3 tablespoons chopped)
- Green Onion (2)
- Tomato (1 large)
- Lettuce (1/3)
- Garlic (8-10 cloves)
- Egg (1)
- Cayenne pepper
- Cumin (1 teaspoon)
- Onion powder (2 teaspoon)
- Garlic powder (1 teaspoon)
- Avocado oil mayonaisse (We used the Hellman brand with a “hint of lime”)
- Cholula hot sauce
Recipe (serves 4, makes 8-10 burgers)
- If using dried black-eyed peas, soak overnight and cook in Instapot for 12 minutes on high pressure. Once cooked, set aside to cool. If using canned, be sure to rinse prior to using.
- Finely chop the garlic and onion. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil on medium high heat. Add the garlic to pan once oil is hot and cook until lightly browned. Then add the onion and caramelize. Once onions begin to caramelize, add the mushrooms. This mixture will take about 15-20 minutes to thoroughly cook.
- Combine 75% of the black-eyed peas and mushroom mixture and pulse until smooth in food processor. Remove and place in large bowl. Add the remaining black-eyed peas to the bowl. Add 1 egg to the mixture. (This is optional, but acts as a binder. If you leave the egg out, the burger may be a little crumbly.) Then add the finely chopped cilantro and green onions. Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Then add the onion powder, cumin, and garlic powder and mix until combined.
- Heat up a tablespoon of vegetable oil. While the oil is heating up, form the burgers using your hands. Place on pan once oil is hot and cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side on medium high heat.
- Combine 1.5 tablespoon of mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon of Cholula to make the aioli.
- To serve, place cooked burger on plate, top with aioli, sliced tomato and lettuce. Enjoy!