Sometimes you just want french fries or a bag of potato chips. This recipe is for one of those days. Sweet potatoes are considerably healthier than potatoes because they have a lower glycemic index. But sweet potatoes are also rich in antioxidants, vitamin A and vitamin C, as well as fiber. Now does that mean you can eat sweet potato every day? No, of course not. But they are a great substitute when you are craving that starchy potato.
- Sweet Potatoes (4 medium sized)
- Black Beans (1 can)
- Panko Bread Crumbs (1/3 cup)
- Pico de Gallo (Trader Joes Brand)
- Kale (1/2 bag)
- Chipotle Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Lime Juice
Recipe (4 Servings):
- Pressure cook the sweet potatoes for about 15 minutes and let cool. After they are cooled, peel and mash them. Add the bread crumbs, salt to taste, 1 teaspoon of chipotle pepper, 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, 1.5 teaspoon of onion powder and mix thoroughly. Form the tots in the palm of your hand, as pictured below. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray the tots with cooking spray. Takes about 30 minutes for them to cook and get crispy. I would recommend flipping them half way through.
- To prepare the salad, mix the kale, 2-3 oz of pico de gallo, 1 can of rinsed and washed black beans. Toss with some lime juice and salt.
- To serve, top the salad with tots and top off with sriracha if you like it spicy.