Shawarma is classically a middle-eastern meat dish, but instead of meat we used chickpeas as our protein. What makes this so delicious is the blend of middle-eastern spices we use to season the chickpeas. Traditionally shawarma is eaten in a wrap form (pita bread or flat bread) but to keep this dish healthy, we opted out of the bread.
- Chickpeas (2 cans)
- Cilantro (1 cup, finely chopped)
- Cucumber (2, sliced in 1/2 inch cubes)
- Grape tomatoes (15-20, sliced in half)
- Hummus (16 oz, we purchased the Mediterranean Trader Joes Hummus)
- Whole milk yogurt (1 cup, from Trader Joes)
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Cumin (1.5 teaspoon)
- Coriander powder (1.5 teaspoon)
- Cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon)
- Smoked paprika (1.5 teaspoon)
- Garlic powder (1 teaspoon)
- Onion powder (1 teaspoon)
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
Recipe (4 servings)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Rinse the chick peas multiple times and then dry using paper towel. Once dry, place the chick peas in a large bowl. Add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil to bowl and then season with the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, paprika, garlic and onion powder. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Toss until all the chick peas are evenly coated. Spread the chick peas on an oven-safe dish and cook in oven for about 25-30 minutes, until the chick peas are crunchy. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the yogurt dressing by combining the yogurt with the lime juice and add salt and black pepper to taste.
- To prepare the bowl, put equal parts of cucumber, tomato, cilantro, chickpeas and the yogurt sauce and top off with a big scoop of hummus. Garnish with cilantro. Combine thoroughly prior to eating! The tangy yogurt sauce melds well with the creamy hummus and the chick peas burst with the spicy flavors and add a memorable crunch to the dish!