Fall is here and hence the beginning of soup season. My favorite protein to use in soups is green lentils. The combination of hearty lentils and earthy mushrooms will leave you wanting more. This one pot soup freezes well but I doubt you will have any leftovers of this delicious soup.
- Green Lentils (2 cups)
- Sliced White Mushrooms (10 oz)
- Onion (1, finely diced)
- Garlic (4-5 cloves, minced)
- Ginger (1 tablespoon, freshly ground)
- White Miso Paste (1 tablespoon)
- Lime (1 lime, juiced)
- Vegetable broth (4 cups)
- Red Crushed Pepper
- Green Onion (2-3, green portions finely chopped)
- Salad Greens (7 oz, we used half the Tahini, Pepita & Apricot Slaw Kit from Trader Joes. This salad mix included shredded carrots, cabbage, broccoli, and kale)
- Olive oil
- Wash and rinse the green lentils and then soak for about 1 hour. Drain soaked lentils.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of olive oil in the Instant Pot on “Saute” setting. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Next add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes followed by the mushrooms. Cook for another 5-6 minutes. Add the ginger paste and the miso paste next. Followed by the lime juice and the salad greens. Toss in the soaked lentils next. Add the vegetable broth. Followed by red crushed pepper to taste.
- Next, change the Instant Pot to High Pressure setting and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve the soup in a large bowl and top with the green onions for garnish.