As a South Indian, I spent my childhood eating dosas almost every weekend. If you don’t know what a dosa is, you are missing out. A dosa is a traditional Indian crepe made with fermented rice and lentil batter and usually stuffed with a spicy potato curry and served with various chutneys. Sounds delicious, right? Yes, but not always the healthiest with the rice batter and the potatoes. To make it healthy, we made the dosa without any rice using just lentils and made a delicious cabbage curry. You will likely have to go to the Indian store to find all of these lentils, but you won’t regret it! We know the different lentils can be a little confusing, so refer to the picture below. The great thing about this recipe is that the Dosa is a recipe and can be used as a vessel for your favorite vegetable curry. You can make the dosas thicker and use them as tortillas the next day!
- Red split peas (1/2 cup)
- Urad Dal (1 cup)
- Yellow Moong Dal (1 cup)
- Split Green Moong Dal (1/2 cup)
- Cabbage (1, small, shredded)
- Onion (1, finely chopped)
- Red Bell Pepper (1, finely chopped)
- Green Bell Pepper (1, finely chopped)
- Cilantro (1/2 cup, finely chopped)
- Garlic (4-5 cloves, finely chopped)
- Thai Green Chili ( 2-3, left whole)
- Turmeric (1/2 teaspoon)
- Curry Powder (1 teaspoon)
- Mustard seed (1 teaspoon)
- Cumin seeds (1 teaspoon)
- Olive oil
Recipe (4-6 servings, depending on the size of your dosas)
- Combine the different lentils together in a large bowl and rinse multiple times until the water is clear. Then soak for 3-4 hours in water.
- Drain the lentils when you are ready to prepare the batter. Grind until smooth in the food processor. You can add 2-3 tablespoons of water to help the grinding process.
- When you are ready to make the dosa, take the desired amount of batter and mix with salt.
- You will need a flat nonstick pan to make the dosas. Allow the pan to get hot (medium-high heat). Rub the pan with some oil. Then pour the batter and spread in circular motion as pictured below. After about 1 minute, you will notice the edges flaking off the pan and then they are ready to be served. Use a spatula to gently scrape them off. They usually come off the pan easily if they are well cooked. You don’t even need to flip them. These dosas are best when hot and fresh!
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a nonstick pan on medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the mustard and cumin seeds until you hear them crackle a little.
- Next add the garlic and let cook for about 1 minute. Next, add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the green chili next. At this point, you can add the turmeric and the curry powder.
- Add the cabbage next and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Lastly add the green and red bell pepper and cook for another 5 minutes. Turn the stove off, and add the cilantro on top.
- You can serve the curry on the side or even stuff it inside the dosa while they are cooking on the stove.