‘Tis the season for pumpkin spice lattes, apple cider, and of course…butternut squash! It is simple delicious and versatile. In this “risotto” like dish, the squash adds a creamy and nutty depth that leaves you wanting more. To make this dish healthier, we subbed protein rich lentils for the carbohydrate heavy rice. The lentils meld beautifully with the squash! The best part is it’s made in the Instant Pot, so minimal clean up required!
- Butternut squash (1 medium sized, peeled/de-seeded and diced into 1/2 inch cubes)
- Green onions (2-3, chopped finely)
- Garlic (6 cloves, chopped finely)
- Green lentils (1 cup)
- Dry white wine (3/4 cup)
- Vegetable Broth (1 cup)
- Olive Oil
- Parmesan, Asiago, Romano Cheese Blend (3 oz, freshly shaved)
Recipe (4 servings)
- Wash and rinse the lentils and soak for 1 hour.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to “Saute” mode. Heat up olive oil (1 tablespoon) and add the garlic once oil is hot. After about 1 minute, add the butternut squash. Toss for 3-4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Drain the soaked lentils and add to Instant Pot. Add in the white wine (we used sauvignon blanc, but any dry white wine will do). At this point, you will need to let the vegetables simmer in the wine for 4-5 minutes as the alcohol cooks off. Next add the vegetable broth. Add salt to taste.
- Next, change the Instant Pot to High Pressure mode and cook for 20 minutes on High Pressure. Manually release the pressure when done.
- Serve in large bowl. Garnish with green onions and cheese shavings. Enjoy!