Today, your palate is going to take a trip to North Africa, specifically Tunisia. If you have never cooked with harissa before, get ready to rock your taste buds. Harissa is a Tunisian spicy chili pepper paste that is made by blending roasted peppers, garlic, and aromatic spices. You can purchase harissa paste at most local grocery stores. We bought ours at Trader Joes and it did not disappoint. This spicy vegetable dish is perfectly balanced with the creamy yogurt sauce. Seriously, we couldn’t stop eating it!
- Harissa paste (2-3 tablespoons)
- Cauliflower (1 medium sized, chopped into 1 inch florets)
- Chick Peas (2 cans, washed and dried)
- Salad Mix (5 oz, we used half the Broccoli and Kale Slaw Salad Mix from Trader Joes)
- Olive Oil
- Honey (1 teaspoon)
- Lime Juice (2 teaspoon)
- Whole Milk Yogurt (1/2 cup)
Recipe (4 servings)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare the harissa sauce by combining 2 tablespoons of harissa, honey, about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 teaspoons of lime juice. Add salt to taste. Blend thoroughly. If you like your food spicy, you can always add more harissa.
- Toss the cauliflower in half the harissa sauce. Toss the chick peas in the other half. Place the cauliflower and the chickpeas in a nonstick pan and roast in oven. The cauliflower took about 35 minutes and the chick peas took about 25 minutes. Half way through, you should flip and move around the items so that they evenly cook.
- Prepare the yogurt sauce by mixing the yogurt with about 1 teaspoon of harissa paste and salt to taste. Combine thoroughly.
- Serve by placing a bed of salad mix, followed by the roasted cauliflower and chickpeas. Top off with yogurt sauce. Enjoy!