I was craving Italian and that was the inspiration behind today’s recipe. When you think of the classic Italian dish, you think pasta, cheese, and tomato sauce. But with pasta comes a heap of processed carbohydrates. In lieu of pasta, we used spaghetti squash. And we feature unprocessed carbohydrates in the form of lentils and squash. The key is learning to eat plant based carbohydrates in it’s natural form to get the most for your buck. So when you eat carbohydrates in the form of lentils, you are also getting a more filling meal with less calories, less refined sugars, more fiber, and more protein. These are things that you are unlikely to get from processed carbohydrates like pasta, rice, and breads. We are not telling you to stop eating carbohydrates, we are just telling you to eat more of the healthy plant based carbohydrates.
- Spaghetti Squash (1, small)
- Tomato (2, medium sized, finely diced)
- Garlic (8-10 cloves, finely chopped)
- Parsley (1/2 cup, finely chopped)
- Onion (1, finely diced)
- Carrots (1 cup, shredded)
- Lime (2, juiced)
- Green Lentils (1 cup)
- Canned Tomato (1 can, diced)
- Tomato Paste (1 tablespoon)
- Crushed Red Pepper (1 teaspoon)
- Italian Seasoning (1 teaspoon)
- Olive Oil
Recipe (4-6 servings)
- Soak green lentils for 1-2 hours in water. Soaking lentils prior to cooking them makes them cook faster but also soaking the lentils improves the digestability.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut your spaghetti squash in half, remove the seeds. Brush with olive oil and bake in oven for about 35 minutes until soft and tender. Set aside to cool. Then scoop out the “spaghetti” using a fork.
- While the spaghetti squash is cooking in the oven, you can prepare the bolognese. We used our Instant Pot. Place on “Saute” mode. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once oil is hot, add the garlic. After about 1 minute, add the onions. Let cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add shredded carrot and fresh tomatoes next. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Next add the canned tomatoes. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Drain the lentils and add to Instant pot. Follow with tomato paste, crushed red pepper, and italian seasoning. You can also add the lime juice at this point. Add salt to taste.
- At this point, you can change the Instant Pot to Manual Pressure mode and cook on “High Pressure” mode for 20 minutes. You don’t need to add any extra water to help the lentils cook because all the water from the tomatoes gets soaked in perfectly! Manually release the pressure when done. Add the parsley and stir in. Add any extra salt or other seasoning if needed at this point.
- On a plate, form a bed of spaghetti squash. Top with the lentil bolognese. Garnish with parsley and enjoy! The bolognese freezes really well!