When we were in Thailand two summers ago, we had the chance to try multiple different amazing tropical fruits. Deepal and I are obsessed with fruit so we ended up venturing to a fruit festival in Bangkok and we were not disappointed! We ate various fruits like longan, rambutan, mangosteen, lychee, mango, dragonfruit, guava, pomelo, roseapple, passionfruit, and of course jackfruit. We were too scared to try the ever-famous pungent and stinky durian, but we did love the jackfruit, a close cousin to the durian.
Over the last year, jackfruit has become fairly popular in the vegetarian and vegan worlds as it was discovered to make a great substitute in “pulled pork” like recipes. Jackfruit when cooked shreds easily to resemble the texture and appearance of pulled pork. We have been seeing a lot of these recipes on social media, so we decided to try our own version! Anyways, long story short, it was delicious and we will definitely be making this again.
- Green jackfruit (canned, 20 oz, in brine)
- Kansas City Style Barbecue Sauce (8-10 oz, we purchased ours at Trader Joes)
- Onion (1, diced in long thin strands)
- Shredded carrot (5 oz)
- Broccoli and Kale Slaw Kit (Trader Joes, 1/2 packet)
- Olive Oil
Recipe (4 servings)
- In a large nonstick pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onions. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of paprika. Cook for 6-7 minutes until softened.
- Rinse and drain the canned jackfruit. Then using your hands, shred the jackfruit by pressing and pulling it apart until it appears like “shredded pork”. Add to the pan. Turn the heat down to medium and add about half a cup of water. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Add the shredded carrot. Add the barbecue sauce. Cover the pan and cook for 10-12 minutes. Keep checking on it in between and stir frequently.
- We decided to make our life easier and purchased the Broccoli and Kale Slaw Kit at Trader Joes which comes with the veggies pre-cut and the sauce mixture. Prepare it and set aside. We only made half a packet of the slaw and used the rest of the veggies for our Harissa Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpea Salad.
- To serve, make a bed of pulled jackfruit and top with the slaw! We ate it the next day with a fried egg on top, and wow!