This morning, I went on a 9 mile run. After I got home, I knew I wanted something rich and creamy to eat for dinner. So when I went shopping, we got all the fixings for this delicious and simple tomato bisque. For the protein, we made tempeh croutons and seasoned them heavily. The croutons are so delicious, we couldn’t stop eating them. I was afraid we weren’t going to have any left when the soup was done cooking. Anyways, we know this is a more indulgent dish than our usual recipes, but you can simply exclude the cream to cut the fat and calories.
- Tomatoes (2, medium sized, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces)
- Canned Whole Tomatoes (28 oz, San Marzano tomato peeled)
- Trader Joe’s Mirepoix (14.5 oz); otherwise 1 onion, two celery stalks, and 1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
- Garlic (12-14 cloves, finely chopped)
- Basil (10-12 leaves, for garnish)
- Tempeh (8 oz, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces, the size of croutons)
- Quinoa (2-3 tablespoons)
- Vegetable Broth (1 cup)
- Cream (1/2 cup)
- Honey (1 tablespoon)
- Cayenne Pepper (1 teaspoon)
- Smoked Paprika (2 teaspoon)
- Black Pepper (1 teaspoon)
- Garlic Powder (1 teaspoon)
- Onion Powder (1 teaspoon)
- Olive oil
Recipe (4 servings):
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the Instant Pot on “Saute” mode. Once oil is hot, add the mirepoix mixture and cook for 6-8 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another 1 minute. Season with salt.
- Crush the canned tomatoes and add to Instant pot, followed by the fresh tomatoes and the vegetable broth. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the uncooked quinoa at this point. Many recipes call for flour or rice to help create the creamy/thick texture for the soup, we decided to use quinoa to add protein and fiber to this dish.
- Add the honey, cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, black pepper, and salt to taste. Stir thoroughly. Change the Instant Pot to Manual Pressure mode and cook on “high” for 12 minutes and manually release the pressure when done cooking.
- While the soup is cooking, start cooking the croutons. Heat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat on the stove. Add the tempeh when oil is hot. Cook until lightly crispy on all sides, stirring frequently. This took about 10-12 minutes. Once cooked, turn the heat off. Add 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder. Add salt to taste. And set aside.
- After you release the pressure in the Instant Pot, use and immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth and creamy.
- Once the soup is cooked, be sure to taste and add any further seasoning if needed. To serve, add 3-4 ladles of soup. Add the desired amount of cream. Top with croutons and garnish with basil.