It was recently our 2 year wedding anniversary – time flies when you’re having fun! I asked Deepal what he wanted for dinner that day and he said he wanted a cheesy broccoli soup! And so, I made this simple yet delicious soup. It has so much broccoli in it and because of that, it is very healthy!
- Broccoli (1.5 pounds)
- Onion (1 small, finely chopped)
- Carrot (3 small, peeled, finely chopped)
- Celery (5 stalks, finely chopped)
- Garlic (6 cloves, minced)
- Dill (1.5 tablespoon, finely chopped)
- Lime Juice (1 teaspoon)
- Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese (1/4 cup)
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (1/4 cup)
- Vegetable Broth (4 cups)
- Olive Oil
Recipe (4 servings):
- First prep your broccoli. Cut stalks off and chop finely. Put 1 cup of broccoli florets aside and chop the rest finely in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss the remaining 1 cup of broccoli florets in salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Bake until crispy; about 25 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat up 2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic at this point and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add the celery and carrot next. Followed by the chopped up broccoli stalks. Cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- At this point, you can add the shredded broccoli florets. Toss and add more oil if needed. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add 4 cups of vegetable broth and decrease heat to medium low and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the cheese to the pot and stir until combined. Turn off the stove
- At this point, you can start to season the soup. Add salt to taste. Add the dill and the lime juice.
- To serve, pour a large serving of soup and top with the crispy broccoli croutons.