After seeing fresh cranberries at the grocery store, I was tempted to do something with them but I wasn’t sure how exactly I wanted to cook with them. When I think of cranberries, nothing much comes to mind besides cranberry sauce or desserts. But I knew I wanted to do something savory. Cranberries offer a unique sweet and tangy flavor and I knew they would do a great job elevating any simple dish. I started thinking about the classic Indian rice dish, biryani, and how it often includes golden raisins. And from there, I came up with this simple and delicious cauliflower fried rice recipe featuring the ever elusive cranberry. Fresh cranberries cook super fast and a little goes a long way! I hope you enjoy this recipe. It was so delicious, I’m thinking about taking it to Christmas lunch with the family.
- Riced Cauliflower (16 oz)
- Yellow Onion (1, finely chopped)
- Carrot (2, peeled and finely chopped)
- Garlic (4 cloves, finely chopped)
- Green Onions (5-6, finely chopped)
- Jalapeno (1, finely chopped)
- Cranberries (1 cup)
- Chickpeas (1 can, rinsed)
- Olive oil
Recipe (4 servings)
- Start by heating up 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large nonstick pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and cook until lightly browned and softened. This takes about 5-6 minutes. At that point, you can add the carrot and the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- 2. Follow with the jalapeno and cranberries. Stir frequently. In about 2-3 minutes, you will find that the cranberries soften and pop.
- 3. Once you think all the cranberries have thoroughly “popped”, you can then add the cauliflower. If you don’t like a strong onion flavor, you can add the white stems of the green onions at this point.
4. Once you think all the cranberries have thoroughly “popped”, you can then add the cauliflower. If you don’t like a strong onion flavor, you can add the white stems of the green onions at this point.
- 5. Add the chickpeas next. Season with salt to taste.
- 6. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the cauliflower seems cooked. Lastly add the remaining green portions of the green onions and stir. Turn the heat off
- 7. Serve in a large bowl and enjoy!