Salads, they sound boring. But the key is to make it hearty and flavorful. You want protein and texture and spice and umami. Otherwise, a salad is just a salad. This simple salad requires very little prep work and it will definitely leave you wanting more. The roasted vegetables with the crunchy chickpeas and the nutty tahini dressing are a divine combination.
- Sweet Potatoes (3 large, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes)
- Chickpeas (2 cans, rinsed and dried)
- Red bell pepper (1, cut into thin 1 inch strips)
- Green Onion (4-5, green portions finely diced)
- Tahini (3 tablespoons)
- Honey (1.5 tablespoon)
- Limes (2)
- Za’atar (2 teaspoons)
- Olive oil
- Cayenne pepper (1 teaspoon)
Recipe: (4 servings):
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. You will be roasting the red pepper, the chickpeas, and the sweet potatoes in the oven. You can do them all at once but make sure that you put them in separate pans since they all have different cooking times.
- Toss the sweet potatoes in 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt to taste. Roast until they are soft and lightly browned. It should take about 20 minutes. About halfway through, flip them so that they are evenly browned.
- Toss the red pepper in 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil and salt. They only take about 10-12 minutes in the oven.
- Toss the dried chickpeas in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 teaspoons of za’atar, salt, and about 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Roast until they are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. This will take about 30 minutes total depending on the oven. Check frequently so that they don’t burn.
- While the vegetables are roasting in the oven, you can prepare your dressing. Combine the juice of 2 limes, tahini, and honey until smooth and slightly runny. You may need to add some water to get the correct consistency. Season with salt to taste.
- To serve, toss the potatoes, red pepper, and chickpeas together. Top with dressing and garnish with green onions. Enjoy!