This dish is so protein packed! I had a half a jar of korean barbecue sauce in my refrigerator that’s been sitting there for a month or so. I keep meaning to use it but then I forget about it. But alas, I finally used it and it was fantastic. We have talked about tempeh before and how it differs from tofu in one of our previous blog posts. So head there if you are interested to learn more. But just remember, tempeh can have a bitter taste sometimes but to prevent that from happening, we recommend steaming in for 10-12 minutes first. This helps decrease that bitter after taste!
- Tempeh (2x 8oz package, sliced thinly)
- Shelled Edemame (9 oz)
- Frozen corn (1 cup)
- Radish (8-10, finely sliced into 1inch long strips)
- Korean Barbecue Sauce (8-10 oz)
- Olive oil
Recipe (4 servings):
- As mentioned above, tempeh can sometimes be bitter but if cooked properly, tastes amazing. Thinly slice the tempeh. The thinner the better, we used a mandolin to get even slices. We recommend steaming the tempeh for about 10 minutes, which is easy to do in an Instapot. Let it cool for about 5 minutes. Then crumble into small pieces.
- Next prepare the quick radish pickle. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime and combine with the radish slices. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium high heat. Add the edamame and the frozen corn and cook for about 5-6 minutes. Next add the crumble tempeh. Stir frequently and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the barbecue sauce. You can use any brand or flavor you like. We like the korean sauce because it is sweet and tangy and pairs really well with the tempeh. You may need to add 1-2 tablespoons of water if the sauce is getting too thick. And you can add more sauce based on how sticky and gooey you like your barbecued food! Cook uncovered for about anther 5-6 minutes. Add salt to taste if needed.
- To serve; place the barbecued mix and top with pickled radish. If you have any extra lemons, it also tastes excellent with a squeeze of lemon juice on top!