We have this little basil plant sitting on our window sill. I used it a lot in the summer but I’ve been neglecting it the last few months. This recipe was inspired by our little plant, “Fred”. Yes, we name our plants. Who doesn’t love a good pesto? I make this pesto a lot, and honestly every time I make it, it’s a huge hit. We put it on everything – eggs, veggie burgers, roasted vegetables, etc. And then I thought, I bet this would be really delicious with tofu. So, we tested this recipe out and we were right. It’s so simple and requires only a handful of ingredients.
- Extra Firm Tofu (1 package, diced into 1/2 inch cubes)
- Cherry Tomatoes ( 10 oz)
- Basil (4 oz)
- Garlic (12 cloves)
- Lemon (2)
- Almonds (1/4 cup, toasted)
- Whole milk yogurt (1 tablespoon)
- Goat cheese crumbles (2 oz)
- Olive oil
Recipe: (4 servings)
- Heat 2 tablespoon of olive oil on medium high heat in a nonstick pan. Once the oil is hot, add the tofu and cook until lightly golden. This generally takes 12-15 minutes, make sure you are stirring every 3-4 minutes so that the tofu is evenly cooked and crispy on all sides. Once the tofu is cooked, set aside.
- In the same pan, add another 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Finely mince 10 of the garlic cloves and add to the oil when hot. Cook for about 1 minute and add the cherry tomatoes next. Cook the tomatoes for about 7-8 minutes, until they start looking like they’re going to pop and split at the skin. Then turn the heat off.
- To prepare the pesto, blend the basil, almonds, juice of 2 lemons, yogurt, the 2 remaining garlic until smooth. Add olive oil slowly until you have the smooth pesto consistency. Season with salt to taste.
- To prepare the salad, combine the tofu and the cherry tomatoes together. Stir in the pesto. Serve in large bowl. You can garnish with some chopped almonds and the goat cheese crumbles. Unfortunately, I forgot to do that for our picture.
- We were feeling fancy, so we added a fried egg on top! That is entirely optional.