We are obsessed with cauliflower rice. We use it at least once a week. It’s a great substitute for actual rice because it’s a great low carbohydrate option and it has plenty of fiber. It’s filling and flavorful and honestly, I hardly miss the rice. To shorten our prep time, we generally buy the riced cauliflower at Trader Joe’s. You can always make your own, but we find it to be time consuming and makes quite a mess! We live in a small apartment in Washington D.C. and we don’t have much counter space, so we only have a mini-food processor. So, it’s not ideal for us to make our own cauliflower rice. But if you have a bigger kitchen and appropriate sized kitchen tools, you should do it!
- Riced Cauliflower (16 oz)
- Parsley (1.5 oz, finely chopped)
- Onion (1, finely chopped)
- Garlic (12, finely chopped)
- Lemon (2)
- Toasted Almonds (1 cup)
- Olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Cumin (2 teaspoons)
- Coriander (2 teaspoons)
- Crushed red pepper (1 teaspoon)
- Yogurt (1 cup)
Recipe (4 servings):
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat in a large nonstick pan. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for 5-6 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Next, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until lightly golden.
- Add the cumin, coriander, and half of your crushed red pepper next. Toast for about 30 seconds, while stirring frequently so that your spices don’t burn.
- Next add the riced cauliflower and cook for about 4-5 minutes until you feel like the cauliflower is cooked through.
- At this point, turn the heat off and add the chopped parsley and the almonds and stir.
- Add the juice of 1 lemon and add salt to taste and stir.
- Next, prepare the yogurt sauce by combining 1 cup of yogurt, the juice of 1 lemon, the remaining half of your crushed red pepper and stir. Add salt to taste.
- Serve the rice in a large bowl and top off with the yogurt sauce.