A very popular Indian dish is the classic tandoori chicken. It is made by marinating chicken in a blend of yogurt and spices and then cooking it in a clay oven called “tandoor”, hence the name tandoori chicken. We wanted to make our own version of this very popular dish but make it vegetarian friendly and use tofu and vegetables. The nice thing about this recipe is you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand. We made ours with cauliflower and parsnips, but literally you can use any vegetables you have in your refrigerator – brussel sprouts, bell pepper, carrots, sweet potato, butternut squash, etc.
- Extra Firm Tofu (1 package, diced into 1/2 inch pieces)
- Cauliflower (1 medium sized, diced into 1 inch florets)
- Parnsips (1 lb – about 4, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces)
- Cilantro (1 head)
- Whole milk yogurt (16 oz)
- Garlic (8 cloves, minced)
- Ginger (1 tablespoon, freshly grated)
- Coriander powder (2 teaspoons)
- Cumin (2 teaspoons)
- Cayenne pepper (2-3 teaspoons)
- Turmeric (1/2 teaspoon)
- Cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon)
- Honey (1.5 tablespoon)
- Olive oil (2 tablespoon)
Recipe (4 servings)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Start by preparing your marinade. Combine the yogurt, garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, cayenne, turmeric, cinnamon, honey, and olive oil together. Add salt to taste. Mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust to your preference! We liked it a little extra spicy so we added more cayenne.
- Next, toss your tofu, cauliflower, and parsnips in about half the marinade. Place in the oven.
- Every 10 minutes, remove the vegetables and tofu and add more marinade to the areas that are getting dry. Make sure you rotate the pans so that everything is evenly cooked. Don’t waste the marinade, make sure you eventually add it all to the vegetables! We did this about 3 times and cooked everything for a total of 30 minutes. Once all the vegetables are tender and golden, remove from the oven.
- Serve in a large bowl and garnish with the cilantro. This would also be great served over a bed of quinoa, which is what we did in the picture below!